Monday, August 29, 2011

Love on a mountaintop

I just want to write a short post here to tell the story of climbing Table Rock in the Oregon cascade mountains, and what happened at the top.  
Some of the boulders below table rock (disclaimer, this is not my photo, I captured it from the net)

This is a pretty big hike, for regular folks who are not hiking up mountains on a regular basis.  We took it seriously and packed a lunch and enough water to keep us hydrated, though we saw other people who felt it was just a stroll and went up without anything but a pair of shoes and a pair of lungs.  We were pretty hot and tired when we reached the top.  After we rested and recovered for a bit (Dave said, "I love these bodies, they recover so well!"), I strolled over to the edge, sat down on some rocks, and looked out at the vast green expanse of mountains laying quiet and radiant in the hazy moistness of that afternoon.  

So much space and quiet and life.  I wanted to sing to it.  I spent some time toning with the intention to re-create the sequence from the crystal palace within meditation that I have done a couple times recently.  In this lovely meditation, you first activate your heart chakra with a heartfelt resonance with the earth.  This is pretty easy to do on top of a mountain!  Then you spend time paying attention to your pineal gland, in the middle of your head.  This is to activate your receptivity to subtle energies.  The third phase is you pay attention to a spot about 18 inches above your head, with an attitude of appreciation and gratitude.  This is to open a portal to your higher mind and free you from the negative idea that you are separate from God.  So I sat there and enjoyed the sounds that my voice could make while focusing on these different places and ideas.  

There is a way of singing I like to do, in which it feels as though the sound is creating a thick space around me, and in that space, there is a whole choir of singers.  There may be some scientific explanation for this, it might be overtones or something.  Whatever it is, it feels very cool and I like it. So I directed this resonant sound to my heart, my head, and the space above my head.  And then I looked out again at this beautiful planet, and sang to it.  

I sang a very simple song.  The words are, "I love you. I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you I love you I love you."  Etc.  You get the idea.  I feel a little shy saying it here, but then again, I want to say it.  I think none of us should be ashamed of loving the earth.  Maybe we should say it all day long.  I think the earth would like to hear that, just as any other living thing would like to hear that it is loved.  Especially if it has been abused and treated with disrespect.  What a relief it is to hear "I love you" after you have been hurt.  

It sure felt sweet inside me to sing that love song out there on top of the mountain.  I felt that my song could be heard more clearly because I was singing into all that open space without thousands of people's words and thoughts competing and filling up the field.  It was sincere.  I felt renewed and healed and transformed by the whole experience.  

Maybe some of you will read this and you will let the earth know how much you love her the next time you get a chance.  Thanks.   

No comments:

Post a Comment